Artisan and Commercial District in Brantford
The Cordage Heritage District
The Cordage Heritage District has an attractive history in the City of Brantford. It was home to one of Brantford’s major historical industrial operations, the Brantford Cordage, from 1901 to 1968. This was the largest cordage and twine manufacturer in Canada. Brantford Cordage had as many as 900 people working on site at one time with trains that would come in and load cars with exports.
The property is home to one of the few remaining early 20th-century industrial buildings in the City of Brantford and is reflective of the City’s significant industrial heritage. To rejuvenate this historic property, the heavy industrial uses were eliminated and a wider range of mixed light industrial and commercial uses were added. A rope and twine making operation is still present on the property and has been a tenant for over 60 years.
Moving forward, significant investment is being made into strategic capital expenditures, unit renovations, and improved branding to support existing artisans and continue to fuel the growth of the thriving community.
For more information on the project, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.